Brunkål is a classic Christmas dish in southern Sweden.
The main ingredient is white cabbage and the name Brunkål (meaning brown cabbage) comes from the normally long cooking time which makes the cabbage brownish in colour.
My slightly healthier version gets it colour from traditional Nordic Christmas spices like cinnamon, cloves, nutmeg and ginger and less from frying, as I only let it softened in a pan for about 6-7 minutes.
– 1/2 head of white cabbage
– 1/3 of a leek
– 1-2 table spoons fresh ginger, grated
– 1-2 tablespoons coconut oil
– 1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice mix or mix nutmeg, cinnamon, ginger and cloves
– 1 teaspoon maple syrup
– tamari to taste
– heat up a pan and let the coconut oil melt
– add the cut upp cabbage and the leek, let it softened for 6 min
– add the grated ginger and the pumpkin spice mix and maple syrup, after 2 min serve